Engaging digital actors - Fostering effective digital policy - Monitoring digital governance
The Geneva Internet Platform is an initiative of the Swiss authorities operated by DiploFoundation
The Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (EDA) and the Federal Office of Communications (OFCOM) have initiated the Geneva Internet Platform (GIP), which fulfils the mission of an observatory, a capacity building centre (online and in situ), and a centre for discussion. The GIP is hosted by DiploFoundation.
Internet governance (IG) is presently at a crossroads. The international community must address the risks and vulnerabilities faced by governments, corporations and citizens, while still ensuring digital growth and innovation.
- Because Geneva is one of the main hubs where digital policies are debated, evaluated, and adopted, and because it has the potential to become a prominent hub for this digital debate - a place where innovations are fostered; where policies are debated; and where leaders, experts, and decision-makers meet regularly - and a place where solutions are born and implemented.
- Because small and developing countries need a centre for Geneva-based digital policy processes, where they can find resources and formulate strategies for success.
- Because a neutral and inclusive space for digital policy debates must be available to Geneva's international stakeholders.
- Because activities of the Geneva-based IG and ICT institutions and initiatives deserve to be supported by the GIP's activities.
- Because outreach beyond and among the existing policy silos (e.g. technology, security, human rights) in research must have a comfortable, risk-free home.
- Because International Geneva will benefit from tools and methods for in situ and online engagement that could be used by other policy spaces.
The GIP’s activities will be implemented based on three pillars:
- A physical platform in Geneva
- An online platform and observatory
- An innovation lab
The GIP will serve permanent missions based in Geneva with tailored briefings on developments in Geneva IG politics. Special focus is on missions from small and developing countries, and even for countries, which - because of limited resources - have no permanent representations in the city. The support is tailored for the needs of these players, including individual consultations, including online meetings to maximise resource use.
To keep up to date with GIP events, subscribe to our mailing list; contact us at email@example.com